Saturday, November 9, 2013

Moda Bake Shop: Hallie's Hexi Stars

Today I have a post at Moda Bake Shop!
 
 
This is something new for me. I wanted to do something different with the hexagons that are all the rage. I cut them apart and sewed them together to make Hexi Stars. It was even more of a stretch because I hand pieced them - and I liked it!
 
I was really surprised that I liked it because I have tried hand work before. I don't enjoy hand applique. I only hand bind when I am not in a hurry, so that doesn't happen very often. I guess I am learning to appreciate slow arts. Last year I did some hand quilting (http://moosequilts.blogspot.com/2012/07/obsession.html) and I did enjoy that. I think it is interesting that even though I like to do things quickly, there is some hand work that is quick enough that I don't get frustrated. The hand piecing wasn't as fiddly as applique. Even my large hands can find success hand piecing.
 
The best part about hand piecing a small project like this is the portability. I made this table topper while waiting for children in different places. It was great to be able to do something constructive with my time instead of just waiting.
 
I hope you will give hand piecing a try. This small project (about 24") was really fun!

2 comments:

Cille said...

Oh, hand piecing is wonderful :) I don't do it often enough but enjoy it tremendously when I have a project. Congratulations on your wonderful Mda project.

Kymberly said...

Beautiful quilt. Congrats on being featured on Moda.